The Adult Education Programs administered by the Mississippi Community College Board are designed to offer opportunities that will enhance the skills and abilities of individuals preparing for the workforce or preparing for additional education opportunities. To be competitive in today’s work environment, it is essential that individuals prepare themselves in the areas of math, reading, writing, communication, teamwork, computer skills, and employability skills.
Adult Education Programs provide the following critical services and activities to support adult learners with the goal of improving access to education and training opportunities, as well as to employment:
- Assist adults to become literate and obtain the knowledge and skills for employment and economic self-sufficiency;
- Support the educational and skill achievement of parents and family members to participate in the educational development of their children and improve economic opportunities for families;
- Assist immigrants and English learners in improving their English and math proficiency and understanding of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship; and
- Assist incarcerated individuals in strengthening their knowledge and skills to promote successful re-entry into society.
Qualifications for Adult Basic Education Services
- At least 16 years of age,
- Not enrolled or required to be enrolled in secondary school under the state law.
- Meet any one of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak, read, or write the English language,
- Lack mastery of basic educational skills to enable the individual to function effectively in society,
- Does not have a secondary diploma or its recognized equivalent.
FREE Adult Education Services
- High School Equivalency classes
- Basic Educational Skills
- Reading, Writing, Math
- Mississippi Integrated Basic Education & Skills Training (MI-BEST)
- Smart Start Pathway Classes
For more information about Adult Education programs in Mississippi, contact us at 601-432-6518 or visit http://www.mccb.edu/adulted/addefault.aspx