Submit an Appeal
Students can appeal decisions related to full-time, continuous enrollment for certain reasons.
Acceptable Reasons for Appeal:
- Student undergoes a significant personal event, such as a serious illness, personal injury, divorce, or death of an immediate family member. An immediate family member is defined as a parent, spouse, sibling, or child. (Historically, appeals have not been granted for students with certain learning disabilities. However, if a student submits an appeal for such a reason and provides compelling documentation from a physician, the appeal will be considered.)
- Student is nearing degree completion and does not have enough hours remaining to warrant full-time enrollment. Students with 6-14 credit hours remaining may appeal for an exception for a single term.
- For COVID-19 related appeals, visit the COVID-19 Resources page for more specific information.
- HELP Grant Deadline: The Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid is unable to award HELP grants to students who missed the March 31 HELP application deadline or the April 30 HELP document deadline. Appeals based on missing the deadline date due to COVID-19 or any other reason cannot be approved. The deadline dates are official published rules, established by the Postsecondary Education Financial Assistance Board (Board), and they cannot be extended, waived, or otherwise changed without Board approval.
Steps for Submitting an Appeal:
- The STUDENT should make the appeal in writing, using the Appeal Form (download above).
- The personal event appeal should be accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation.
- The nearing degree appeal should be accompanied by a letter on institutional letterhead from the appropriate dean, director, or academic advisor.
- The letter from the faculty/administrator should indicate 1) the expected graduation date, 2) the total number of hours the student needs to complete his/her degree, and 3) the number of hours the student intends to take each term. A template is available for institutions to complete the requested information. The template may be completed digitally but should be printed on institutional letterhead and signed.
TEMPLATE for Verification of Appeal
- There is no deadline for appeals from students. Appeals are received and considered year-round.
- The appeal and supporting documentation may be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the attention of “Appeals Committee”:
Mail to: Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid, 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211
Scan and email to:
Fax to: 601-432-6527